Oracle Database Encryption: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
Sensitive intellectual property. Regulated data. Confidential employee information. At any given time, any and all of these vital assets may be stored in your Oracle databases. For these reasons, your Oracle databases represent a critical asset for your business—and a prized target for malicious insiders and external cyber criminals.
As cyber attacks continue to grow more sophisticated, persistent, and costly, database encryption becomes an increasingly vital imperative. By encrypting sensitive data in Oracle databases, your organization can establish a strong line of defense that can help secure sensitive assets against a range of threats. However, while the reasons to adopt Oracle database encryption are clear, that doesn’t mean the effort is simple. In fact, for many organizations, Oracle database encryption has presented a range of obstacles, including degraded database performance, laborious revisions to application code, and complex and time consuming key management efforts. While Oracle offers Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) capabilities, this approach can also pose significant challenges.
Click the headers to learn more about the challenges posed by Oracle TDE—and discover how Vormetric solutions can help. Finally browse the section below to discover the specific advantages Vormetric solutions bring to Oracle environments.
Today, many versions of Oracle provide TDE functionality. Through this functionality, customers can encrypt data at the database or cell level. TDE is referred to as 'transparent' because, in some implementations, IT teams can take advantage of the database encryption functionality without having to make any application changes.
While TDE can be a good fit in some customer environments, many organizations encounter these challenges:
- Administrative complexity. In most organizations, Oracle will be one of many areas in which encryption is employed. Data in other applications and databases will often need to be encrypted as well. Given that Oracle TDE only supports encryption in Oracle environments, this means that organizations will require separate products, training, and workflows for multiple encryption implementations. This results in a significant increase in the cost and administrative effort associated with encryption.
- Insufficient capabilities for managing policies and keys. Oracle TDE only offers minimal capabilities for managing encryption keys. In virtually all cases, organizations need to employ separate hardware security modules (HSMs) or third-party key managers to gain the capabilities required. Given that each instance of Oracle requires a separate encryption key, having separate, disparately supported key managers results in a high degree of complexity, and exacerbates the risks of having keys lost or stolen.
- Reduced performance. Oracle TDE does all encryption operations within the database itself, which imposes a significant hit on database server resources.
- Data surrounding the database remains exposed. The database is part of a larger ecosystem of information flows, including backups, archives, extract-transform-load (ETL) files, and reports. While with Oracle TDE, a specific asset may be secured when stored within the database, what happens, for example, if a spreadsheet report that contains sensitive data is extracted from the database? Oracle TDE can’t support the encryption of unstructured data outside of the database, which means this sensitive information may be exposed.
- Limited database support. TDE functionality is not available on many older releases of Oracle databases. However, for a number of reasons, for example, given the constraints of associated packaged applications, many organizations haven’t been able to upgrade to more current versions of the Oracle database that do offer TDE support. As a result, organizations that rely solely on Oracle TDE may be left with significant gaps in encryption coverage.
Vormetric Encryption Solutions for Oracle Environments
The Vormetric Data Security Platform enables you to encrypt and secure sensitive assets in your Oracle databases, while avoiding the challenges traditionally associated with TDE or Oracle column encryption. Vormetric offers these encryption solutions for Oracle environments:
Vormetric Transparent Encryption offers the capabilities you need to employ strong database encryption, with minimal effort and performance implications. With Vormetric Transparent Encryption, you can secure sensitive assets in your Oracle databases, and in all the other databases running across your enterprise, including IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, NoSQL, and Sybase. Vormetric Transparent Encryption offers these key features:
- Seamless implementation. By leveraging this encryption solution’s transparent approach, your organization can implement database encryption, without having to make changes to your applications, infrastructure, or business practices.
- Granular access controls. Vormetric Transparent Encryption provides fine-grained, policy-based access controls that restrict access to encrypted data. Privileged users—whether cloud, virtualization, or database administrators—can manage systems, without gaining access to encrypted data, unless they have expressly been granted permissions to do so.
- Detailed security intelligence. Vormetric logs capture all access attempts to protected data. These security intelligence logs can accelerate detection of advanced persistent threats (APTs) and insider abuse because they offer visibility into file access. Further, these logs provide the vital intelligence needed to track and demonstrate compliance.
For organizations that need to apply more granular encryption, including at the column or field level within databases, Vormetric offers Vormetric Application Encryption. Vormetric Application Encryption simplifies the integration of encryption into existing corporate applications. The product features standards-based APIs, which are used to perform cryptographic and key management operations. Vormetric Application Encryption equips you with these capabilities:
- Protect sensitive data. Vormetric Application Encryption enables you to stop unauthorized individuals—whether they’re malicious administrators, hackers, or authorities with subpoenas—from accessing valuable data in databases.
- Deploy with confidence. Vormetric offers high-performance encryption and key management agents that have been proven to deliver the availability and performance needed in the most processing-intensive environments. The solution has been proven to scale to support 50,000 cryptographic transactions per second.
- Support heterogeneous environments. Vormetric Application Encryption makes it simple to extend application-layer encryption across virtual, cloud, big data, and traditional environments that run Linux and Windows.
For enterprises that have chosen to use Oracle TDE in their Oracle databases, Vormetric offers a solution that enables secure and efficient management of cryptographic keys.
Vormetric Key Management can centrally manage keys for Oracle TDE, all Vormetric products, Microsoft SQL Server TDE, and other Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP)-compliant encryption platforms. As a result, organizations can more centrally and securely manage all their encryption keys, while streamlining key administration efforts.
By leveraging Vormetric Key Management, security teams can avoid the cost and effort of having to support multiple key managers—and more easily ensure keys are properly stored, secured, and backed up. Vormetric Key Management also offers these advantages:
- Manageability. Vormetric Key Management provides key generation, recovery, and expiration tracking for the master and database encryption keys for all integrated encryption devices.
- Availability. Vormetric Key Management increases data availability by storing encryption keys in highly reliable Vormetric Data Security Manager appliances, which can be configured in a redundant fashion to support failover and disaster recovery.
- Granular access controls. Vormetric Key Management provides separation of duties between IT functions and encryption key management, including key generation, storage, expiration tracking, and auditing of key operations.
The Advantages of Vormetric Data Security Platform
The Vormetric Data Security Platform makes it simple to manage data-at-rest security across an entire organization. The solution enables organizations to encrypt sensitive data on Oracle and other servers, control access to that information, report on who is accessing the protected data, and leverage integrated encryption key management.
The Vormetric Oracle encryption solution offers the following advantages:
- Comprehensive security coverage. While TDE can protect data within the database, Vormetric Oracle encryption solutions secure data both inside and outside of the database. Further, Vormetric enables customers to encrypt Oracle databases—including 10g and 11g—as well as IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, NoSQL, and Sybase. Vormetric solutions secure data on Windows, Linux, and UNIX operating systems, and they offer coverage of physical, virtual, and cloud-based servers.
- Operational efficiency. By offering a single console for managing encryption policies and cryptographic keys across a number of environments and technologies, Vormetric minimizes administrative overhead. With this unified coverage, Vormetric helps security teams avoid database encryption silos, reduce costs, and apply security policies more broadly and consistently.
- Robust, scalable performance. Compared to Oracle TDE, Vormetric offers far superior performance. With Vormetric, encryption and decryption is performed at the optimal location: in the file system or volume manager. Further the solution can take advantage of microprocessor encryption technology, such as Intel AES-NI, to further minimize the performance overhead of encryption.